01 September 2008

one day in the river

Happy birthday to me. Many gifts! Much love, and much good work, over the last year.

Best material gift of the moment is the deeee-luxe housesitting / catsitting gig. Huge artists' loft in Brooklyn, where I get to work surrounded by two people's paintings-in-progress (and surrounded by trade magazines and self-promotion brochures and lists of galleries to contact... I know working artists' lives are full of admin work no matter their field, but it's still funny to see other people's admin-flotsam). I also get to remind myself how great it feels to make a cat roll around on the floor in pleasure.

Incredibly useful to be alone in a new place while I finish a piece as intense as Wild Illuminating. And now is a perfect time for mostly being a hermit, since the fall concert season doesn't really rev up until later in September anyway. (I did unhermit tonight for a very sweet birthday dinner with Alex.)

On my last birthday I was in Stockholm for the first time, and I wondered whether I could pull off "every future birthday in a place I've never been." Nope: I'm home in NYC today. But maybe I can pull it off bienially. :) Next birthday, I'm likely to be outside the U.S. at least....

No comments: