03 November 2008

evolution eve.

Beautiful afternoon and evening at a North Carolina Obama volunteer outpost (the Corner Oak B&B, should anybody reading this in the future be interested in supporting a business that stayed closed for days in order to host an Obama volunteer operation!).

After doing some data cleanup, I switched over to making phone calls. During this campaign, I've gotten to experience both pre-vetting and post-vetting phone lists. A few weeks ago, there were many more hangups, wrong numbers, and angry "Will you people stop calling me?" moments; tonight's calling, on the other hand, involved a much higher percentage of people who were happy to hear from me. Many people tonight seemed genuinely excited and thanked me repeatedly (I've never experienced that critical mass of grateful people in any other phone-banking situation).

And for my part, I was fed amazing vegan soup (and homemade fudge) and I got to work among an ever-rotating cast of interesting people including typically hot activist types. :) And it looks like my work tomorrow will be more social: after some more computer work, I'll probably be among the group headed for the polls to support people with food/water/conversation (the campaign is expecting extremely long lines, lasting well after the polls close).

When I'm done with that work I will probably disconnect from media, take a deep breath, and not look again until the results are very likely to be clear. Letting go is deeply valuable on a night like tomorrow night.

Let all the evil machinations and vote-stealing and disenfranchisement and open brazen lies unfold and float away. Desperate tattered little flags trying to hold back the winds of change.

No comments: